Thursday 18 December 2008

All My Loving, i will send to you

I've just had an amazing visit with my mum. It
wasn't so good at first as I could hear her crying
all the way down the corridor when I got there. I
rushed into her and hugged her. She said 'oh
Anne, I've been here an hour and half on my own
and the doorbell keeps ringing and I can't let them
in' I was stunned, she's barely said anything that
makes sense for days and this was plain as day. I
told her not to worry about the doorbell, if it was
anyone important they would get in, I got in after
all. Then she had a rant about my brother for
putting her back in hospital so I explained to her
that she wasn't in hospital she was in a care
home. Then she pointed at a photo and said I
can't see it properly who is it. So I told her it was
my girls and she said to give them a big kiss from
her.

When my brother arrived he bought her some
christmas cards. I helped her open them and then
she held them in front of her saying each one was
lovely. They really were, and mum always loved a
nice card she thought they were more important
than presents. Then when she'd looked at them all
and I'd read them to her she started singing, 'All
my loving, I will send to you'
She had a drink of squash and held it herself and
drank it. Yesterday we were trying to get fluids in
her and she was just dribbling them out. Her
mouth was all dry and blistered.
Today she was like a different woman, she looked
better, and was much more aware.
The nurse did warn us that she could appear to
get better just before the end, but I'm not focusing
on that, I'm just happy I had a lovely couple of
hours with her today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne

How lovely!! What a moving post and I'm so glad you've had this special time. Sounds like your mum really enjoyed your visit too.

Hugs and lots of them.....

S xx

Janice said...

Anne,

How wonderful it must have been for you to see that sparkle back in your mum again. I'm glad she was able to enjoy your visit. She's lucky to have such a lovely daughter.

Janice
xx

Unknown said...

So glad you had some time with your "real" mum, Anne.

Sending hugs to you all.

Mel xxx.