Wednesday 10 March 2010

Lost: Brown Bunny!

Yesterday I discovered our rabbit was missing. I went out to feed him as I do every morning and his cage was open and empty. I searched the garden but to no avail, I have no idea how he got out of the garden and was convinced he was hiding somewhere, but he's not returned so far, despite my leaving him goodies to eat.
I know how he got out of the hutch, all this horrible weather we've been having had taken it's toll on the door frame which had become warped. He'd managed to bend it open without releasing the latch.

I don't like keeping caged animals but we'd been asked if we wanted a rabbit along with a hutch and I thought the girls would like it so I said yes. The girls did play with him for a little in the garden in the summer, but it was me who had most contact. I had grown fond of him and did feel sorry that he was cooped up most of the time. I kept his hutch clean and made sure he had extra bedding when it was cold. I loved the way he jumped around his hutch like a lunatic whenever I opened the back door because he knew he was going to get some attention or food. I actually felt a little betrayed that he had decided to make a run for it. Now I find I miss him and I am still hoping that he returns although it's looking very unlikely now. I've even got the neighbours looking out for him.

I won't be getting another rabbit.

No comments: